Frequently asked questions about Nintendo DS homebrew
 General FAQ
 Help, I cannot create an account / Wiki Account Creation Working?
Yes, You can create an account for the dev-scene wiki - You need an active forum account to access the wiki.
The two are integrated tightly together. So create an account on the forum and you'll be able to contribute to the wiki :)
 What is the Nintendo DS?
The Nintendo DS is a handheld (portable) game console produced in Japan by Nintendo Co. Ltd. The unit sports dual screens (one is touch sensitive), dual cpus, clamshell design, stereo sound, microphone, local and infrastructure wifi networking.
 What is Homebrew?
In relation to the Nintendo DS, Homebrew is software developed for the Nintendo DS without use of an official developement kit (often called a Dev Kit). These are usually done as a hobby and distributed for free, sometimes with full source code.
For a more complete definition see Wikipedia's article on Homebrew
 What do I need to run Homebrew?
Running a Homebrew game requires one of these three devices:
- A Passthrough device. NoPass cards are very popular.
- A MediaCart (and the appropriate card and card reader, sometimes included). Modern homebrew is most often done on a MediaCart, and many popular homebrew applications actually require it in order to use Chishm's FatLib to store user data.
- A FlashCart.
To write or compile programs for the NDS, you will need both of these:
- DevkitPro. This is a full NDS toolchain for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. libNDS, the standard for NDS homebrew development, is included.
- Time, patience, and desire.
 Just tell me what to buy darnit!
If on a budget:
- A NoPass and a GBAMP CF v2 along with the smallest/cheapest CF card you can find and a CF card reader.
If looking for clean fit with original DS:
- A NoPass and a SuperCard MiniSD along with the smallest/cheapest MiniSD card you can find and a MiniSD card reader.
If looking for a clean fit with the DSlite:
- A NoPass and a SuperCard Lite along with the smallest/cheapest MicroSD card you can find and a MicroSD card reader.
 Hardware FAQ
 Do I need more than a PassME/NoPass to run homebrew?
To run homebrew, you also need a storage device (flashcart). A Game Boy Advance Movie Player (GBAMP)v2 will do just fine.
 What is a PassME?
 What is a NoPass?
 Software FAQ
 What is DevkitPro?
As mentioned earlier, homebrew applications/games are developed without the official SDK, an unoffical SDK has been developed called DevkitPro: is in combination with the libNDS allows developers to code homebrew games and applications.